After quite some time, we are finally in a correspondence with Thousand Kites Campaign: Justice Silenced. They publish videos about prison reform and discrimination against the Deaf. I’m in the process of getting them to release some of those videos to us for captioning and publication here on DeafInPrison.com.
Pat Bliss’s 22nd chapter of the story of Felix Garcia’s arrest, trial and eventual conviction is finally up on Bliss-2. This is the definitive story of the trial of a Deaf man who has spent the last 30-odd years in prison for a crime he did not commit.
You may have noticed that we’ve added a number of RSS feeds in both our left and right sidebar columns. These feeds will provide the latest links from a number of news services and resources that we think you may be interested in. Please click on some of these links while browsing our site.
The 6th installment of our video interview with Felix Garcia is up now. There are 2 installments left in the series, and they will be coming on line over the next couple of weeks. In this installment, Felix talks about communication issues between the hearing and the Deaf. He gives us some insight into the linguistic differences between Sign and spoken English. He also talks about his self taught computer skills – and about his trial.
Pat Bliss and I are working on getting a letter up on the site that will tie into an automated mailing to members of the Florida Cabinet, regarding Felix’s release.
HEARD – an organization we have a deep and abiding respect for – is working on a similar letter campaign, and if possible, we will try and tie the two projects together. Also, HEARD has honored me with an administration position on their FaceBook page. Posts on our site should start appearing on their page just as soon as all this broken code starts doing what it’s supposed to do.
Here’s a closing pic for you.
- A Letter From Felix Garcia to HEARD (deafinprison.wordpress.com)
- Finally! Felix #6 is Up! (deafinprison.wordpress.com)
- Miranda, Hearing Juveniles and Deaf Juvenile Offenders (deafinprison.wordpress.com)
- What I Learned from a (Deaf) Baseball Player – From Lipreading Mom (deafinprison.wordpress.com)
- Could Taylor Swift End Up Performing For Deaf Audience? (deafinprison.wordpress.com)
- More News from HEARD (deafinprison.wordpress.com)
- Reading Levels and the Jail Medical Psychological Intake Form (deafinprison.wordpress.com)
- Deaf Three-Year-Old Not Allowed to Sign His Name Because It Violates Preschool’s Weapons Policy [Video] (gawker.com)
- What I Learned from a (Deaf) Baseball Player (lipreadingmom.com)
- After a Break; Felix Part Five (deafinprison.wordpress.com)