I came home to find this posted on the DeafInPrison.com FaceBook page.
Who I am: Dr. Aviva Twersky Glasner, Ph.D. is a Criminal Justice Researcher and the proud mother of a deaf son. My son goes to an ASL intensive school in Massachusetts, the Learning Center, and I have been learning sign language (I am still struggling) so that I can have conversations with him. I have done extensive research and published in the area of deafness and the justice system and would like to hear from you. The primary focus of this research is to learn about difficulties (if any) experienced as a result of the your deafness or other disability, making communication difficult.
they have embedded, a very compelling and interesting video. It is from YouTube, so captioning is available.
The site author goes on to ask the following of viewers,
- Have you ever been stopped by a police officer? If yes, why?
- How did you communicate with the officer? Was it difficult?
- Did the officer get a sign language interpreter?
- Have you ever been the victim of a crime or had reason to contact the police?
- How did you communicate? Was it difficult?
- Have you had to interact with emergency service personnel, i.e. EMT’s or firefighters?
- When interacting with either the police, EMT’s, firefighters or court personnel, did they ever say to you “read my lips?”
- Did you request a sign language interpreter? Did you get an interpreter?
- Did any of these personnel try to enlist one of your family members or friends to act as an interpreter?
No log in links are provided, but the author has posted her e-mail at the bottom of the page.
- Innocent deaf woman spends 60 hours in jail without interpreter – From Prisonmovent’s Weblog (deafinprison.wordpress.com)
- Reading Levels and the Jail Medical Psychological Intake Form (deafinprison.wordpress.com)
- Deaf Couple use Internet and Technology to Run Restaurant (deafinprison.wordpress.com)
- Franklin Pop Warner Raises Money For Deaf Player’s Interpreter (boston.cbslocal.com)
- Individuals with Disabilities and the Issue of False Confessions (deafinprison.wordpress.com)
- Adams County Deaf Man Lawsuit (denver.cbslocal.com)
- You Learn Lessons in Some Strange Places (deafinprison.wordpress.com)
- A Disturbing Trend: Deaf Youth and the School to Prison Pipeline (deafinprison.wordpress.com)
- Deaf Awareness Week – Day 3 PetFinder.com (deafinprison.wordpress.com)
- Sign Your Way to Good Health (beverley1.com)