The Washington Post reports that William Pierce, a 44 year-old Deaf HIV patient has filed suit against the city of D.C. because he was denied treatment, unfairly kept in solitary, and handcuffed – essentially a gag for the Deaf.
The ACLU, which is handling the case, has stated Pierce was denied access to an interpreter and handcuffed during visits from his mother and his partner. He was denied access to his prescribed HIV medications – necessary to prevent his life threatening illness from progressing.
Pierce was serving a 60 day sentence – for assault – at the Central Treatment Facility, one of the private jails run by the Corrections Corporation of America. CCA is not listed as a defendant in the case, and the D.C. Department of Corrections did not reply to the Post’s request for a statement.
In an e-mail, a spokesman for CCA said, “[T]he treatment of the inmates in our care very seriously and work diligently to accommodate any special needs they might have. —WaPo
The ACLU is claiming that CCA – and by extension, the city of D.C. – is in violation of the Americans With Disabilities Act. Their Washington Legal Director is quoted as saying, “It’s in their contract that they’re supposed to comply with these laws. It’s a big company with a lot of money. D.C. has to make it clear to them that they are supposed to do what they are contracted to do.” –WaPo
Read more here:
BitcoDavid is a blogger and a blog site consultant. In former lives, he was an audio engineer, a videographer, a teacher – even a cab driver. He is an avid health and fitness enthusiast and a Pro/Am boxer. He has spent years working with diet and exercise to combat obesity and obesity related illness.
- Ex-Deaf Inmate Sues DC, Says He Was Mistreated (washington.cbslocal.com)
- William Pierce, deaf former inmate, sues Dept. of Corrections (wjla.com)
- January at DeafInPrison.com (deafinprison.wordpress.com)
- Lake Erie Correctional Institution, Ohio Private Prison, Faces Concerns About ‘Unacceptable’ Conditions (huffingtonpost.com)
- Eighth and Final Chapter in the Felix Garcia Video Series (deafinprison.wordpress.com)
- Inmates claim private prison falsifies staff logs (ktvb.com)
- FCC to Hear Case on Deaf Telephone Rate Inequity (deafinprison.wordpress.com)
- Booking, Medical/Psychological intake, and Classification: Why a Live Interpreter is Critical (deafinprison.wordpress.com)
- Happy Birthday to the Corrections Corporation of America? Thirty Years of Banking on Bondage Leaves Little to Celebrate (prisonmovement.wordpress.com)
- Founded 30 years ago today, Corrections Corp of America now houses more prisoners than the states of NY and NJ combined (aclu.org)
13 thoughts on “Deaf CCA Inmate Sues DC for Mistreatment”
Reblogged this on The Prison Enquirer.
Thanks for the reblog.
Reblogged this on Prison Pork.
Thanks for the reblog.