The following announcement and the associated PDF embed are courtesy of H.E.A.R.D.
Deaf Community members & Allies should submit comments to the FCC by March 25, 2013.
On December 28, 2012, the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) released a Notice of Proposed Rulemaking (NPRM) to address the long-standing issue of high prison telephone rates. Hearing prisoners’ telephone calls can cost their family members as much as $17 for just 15 minutes of time. These excessive rates prevent families from maintaining contact with loved ones.
Deaf, hard of hearing, deaf-blind, speech impaired, and hearing prisoners with deaf family members endure an even greater financial burden with respect to telephone rates due to a number of factors, including (1) telephone rates being applied evenly to TTY and regular voice phone calls, the former of which is much more time-consuming; (2) failure of prisons to install videophones and captioned telephones; (3) security measures that either prevent deaf prisoners from calling relay operators or cause them to incur additional fees by requiring relay services; and (4) security measures that require deaf prisoners to only place collect calls.
The FCC has requested public comments on whether prisoner phone rates and on deaf & disabled prisoner telecommunications access. The attached document explains some of the inequities that persist for deaf, signing & speech impaired prisoners and their families with regard to rates for and access to telecommunications in prison. Please follow the directions in the document to submit a comment to the FCC.
BitcoDavid is a blogger and a blog site consultant. In former lives, he was an audio engineer, a videographer, a teacher – even a cab driver. He is an avid health and fitness enthusiast and a Pro/Am boxer. He has spent years working with diet and exercise to combat obesity and obesity related illness.
- International Symposium on Criminal Justice and the Deaf (deafinprison.wordpress.com)
- Let the Taser do the Talking, Or… (deafinprison.wordpress.com)
- Booking, Medical/Psychological intake, and Classification: Why a Live Interpreter is Critical (deafinprison.wordpress.com)
- For Police Officers: VRS, VRI or Live Interpreter? (deafinprison.wordpress.com)
- DeafInPrison rough in Britain, Too (deafinprison.wordpress.com)
- Does Your Health Insurance Cover Hearing Aids? (deafinprison.wordpress.com)
- January at DeafInPrison.com (deafinprison.wordpress.com)
- Your Money or Your Life (deafinprison.wordpress.com)
- When One Hand Refuses to Wash the Other (deafinprison.wordpress.com)
- Nowhere Man In Nowhere Land (deafinprison.wordpress.com)