Here’s and event you may be interested in attending. Thu, Apr 18, 2013 4:00 PM – 5:00 PM EDT there will be a Webinar on Solitary Confinement in an Age of Mass Incarceration. It is being presented by NRCAT – the National Religious Campaign Against Torture.
In this hour-long webinar, we will hear from leading policy experts with an overview of legislative efforts to end prolonged solitary confinement, including survivors of solitary confinement, and from members of the faith community who are engaged in efforts to end this destructive practice. The webinar will include information about causes of the dramatic expansion of the use of solitary confinement in the context of mass incarceration, and a description of recent reform successes and future opportunities for members of the faith community to be engaged.
Speakers will include:
– Mr. Anthony Graves, founder of Anthony Believes, who will share from his own experience of surviving sixteen years in solitary confinement in Texas before his conviction was overturned. Mr. Graves presented powerful testimony at the 2012 congressional hearing on the realities of solitary confinement experienced each day in U.S. prisons.
– Amy Fettig, Senior Staff Counsel for the ACLU’s National Prison Project
– Laura Markle Downton, Director of U.S. Prisons Policy and Program for NRCAT
You can register here.
BitcoDavid is a blogger and a blog site consultant. In former lives, he was an audio engineer, a videographer, a teacher – even a cab driver. He is an avid health and fitness enthusiast and a Pro/Am boxer. He has spent years working with diet and exercise to combat obesity and obesity related illness.
- The Hidden History of Solitary Confinement in New Jersey’s Control Units (moorbey.wordpress.com)
- Voices from Solitary: “Suicide Is Preferable to Long-Term Segregation” in Solitary Confinement (solitarywatch.com)
- After 15 Years in Solitary Confinement, Prisoner Challenges ‘Severe Psychological Trauma’ (lissakr11humane.com)
- To our brothers inside the walls: a report back from the hearing on solitary confinement (moorbey.wordpress.com)
- U.N. Expert on Torture Calls for Investigation of Use of Solitary Confinement (lawprofessors.typepad.com)
- Team Blood (bitcodavidsboxingblog.com)
- Amnesty International Petition for Angola 3 Member (deafinprison.wordpress.com)
- The Theft of Dignity by Pastor Mark Ehrlichmann (deafinprison.wordpress.com)
- Interview with Moorbey (deafinprison.wordpress.com)
- Event! DeafNation Expo at Gallaudet University (deafinprison.wordpress.com)