Boy, they don’t mess around in Texas. After a 100 mph chase, and an OK Coral style shootout, Texas law enforcement officers managed to shoot and wound the suspected killer of Tom Clements, the Colorado Director of Prisons. Apparently, Evan Spencer Ebel, 28, a Coloradoan with a long criminal record, and a current Denver parolee, is the man suspected in the shooting.
Rumors – many fueled by the Denver Post – have been circulating around the Internet, as to Ebel’s motive. Before his identity was known, their was some suspicion that the shooting was carried out by an agent for Saudi national, Homaidan al-Turki, whom Clements had refused to allow, to serve out the remainder of a Colorado prison sentence in Saudi Arabia. It was also believed that the shooter was under orders by the prison gang – the 211s, a White Supremacist group – as retribution for something or other. The Post also drew a correlation between this shooting and the Aryan Nation prison gang. Often, when the mainstream media doesn’t have anything to report, they’ll just make stuff up.
We don’t know why he did it yet, or for that matter – if he did it at all. What we do know is what Texas did to bring him in. According to the NYT, Ebel was stopped by a Montague County Sheriff’s Deputy, outside of Dallas at a little before noon, yesterday. He was driving a car with Colorado plates, that matched a witness description as having been seen outside of Clement’s home on the night of the shooting.
Ebel allegedly opened fire on the deputy and then stomped on it, promoting a high speed chase. He was said to be doing a hundred mph, when he t-boned a tractor trailer. Business as usual for Ebel, he jumped out of the now decimated Caddy, and began a shootout with the cops. No word on the trucker.
The cops finally drilled one in him, and he is now on life support at a Texas hospital, awaiting extradition.
Denver and Golden, Co. detectives have flown to Texas to aid in the investigation. Denver authorities have stated that they will continue investigating despite Ebel’s death, which I find confusing. According to the Times, he’s still alive – but on life support. Nowhere, could I find a definitive statement in the Post as to his having died.
BitcoDavid is a blogger and a blog site consultant. In former lives, he was an audio engineer, a videographer, a teacher – even a cab driver. He is an avid health and fitness enthusiast and a Pro/Am boxer. He has spent years working with diet and exercise to combat obesity and obesity related illness.
- Colorado Department of Corrections chief Tom Clements’ Murder linked to Homaidan Al-Turki, Awlaki DVD Distributor in jail for sexual attacks on a housekeeper he kept as a slave (atlasshrugs2000.typepad.com)
- Colorado Muslims Disgusted with Biased Clements Murder Coverage (coloradoindependent.com)
- Investigators Seek Link Between Texas Car Chase, Colorado Shooting – NPR (blog) (npr.org)
- Focus on parolee in prison chief’s slaying (wyff4.com)
- Investigators Seek Link Between Texas Car Chase, Colorado Shooting (wnyc.org)
- Amnesty International Petition for Angola 3 Member (deafinprison.wordpress.com)
- Interview with Moorbey (deafinprison.wordpress.com)
- Denver Post or The Onion: it’s hard to tell (thoughtsnax.com)
- Event: Webinar (deafinprison.wordpress.com)
- From USABoxing – Casting Call (bitcodavidsboxingblog.com)