Some of the confusion surrounding the Tom Clements shooting has been cleared up. The New York Times announced this morning, that on Friday, shooting suspect Evan S. Ebel, had died in the hospital following the police shootout, northwest of Dallas, Texas. Police however, will continue the investigation as well as investigations into several other murders, of which they suspect Ebel responsible.
As of this point, detectives have no definitive link between Ebel and the Clements shooting, however they will continue to compare ballistics and other physical evidence.
Meanwhile, Texas authorities are looking into a connection between the shooting of Tom Clements and the killing of assistant DA, Mark E. Hasse, whom they say was involved in prosecuting the prison gang – Aryan Brotherhood. Original reports had linked Ebel to the Aryan Nation – a supremacist religious organization, not the prison gang. You’ll have to forgive me, I’m not up on my White supremacist groups.
similarly, detectives in Texas have no link between these two shootings, but say that the investigation is still open.
Ebel is also being tied into the murder of Nathan Leon, a Denver employee of Domino’s Pizza. A Domino’s pizza box was recovered from the wreckage of Ebel’s Cadillac. Denver Police claim that they have sufficient evidence on top of that, to build a case.
As you know, a flurry of mis-reports, rumors and possible motives have been floating around the mainstream media and the Internet. For example, it has been suggested that Ebel was a member of the 211’s – a White supremacist prison gang. Different papers have claimed him a member of the Aryan Brotherhood and the Aryan Nation, while still others seek to pin the blame on a Saudi National serving time in Colorado.
Just so you know, in all the reports I have read on this story – none of those theories have been proven out, and authorities have no official record of Ebel’s involvement in any of those groups, or the extent of what that involvement may have been.
In a related story, the Denver Post is reporting that Colorado Governor, John Hickenlooper was close friends with Ebel’s father. Hickenlooper has not denied the friendship, but insists that he never intervened in Ebel’s interactions with law enforcement, and that he had not taken any steps to insure Ebel’s parole. The Governor stated that he was not even aware that Ebel had been released from prison.
BitcoDavid is a blogger and a blog site consultant. In former lives, he was an audio engineer, a videographer, a teacher – even a cab driver. He is an avid health and fitness enthusiast and a Pro/Am boxer. He has spent years working with diet and exercise to combat obesity and obesity related illness.
- Follow Up: Texas Style Arrest of Clements’ Alleged Shooter (deafinprison.wordpress.com)
- Ebel associated with gang with long, violent history (gazette.com)
- Shooter linked to Colo. case – Boston Globe (bostonglobe.com)
- Tom Clements, Colorado prison chief shot dead on eve of gun law signing (riehlworldview.com)
- Clements update: Hickenlooper was friends with the father of white supremacist (denverpost.com)
- Editorial: Tom Clements will be greatly missed (denverpost.com)
- Event: Webinar (deafinprison.wordpress.com)
- Team Blood (bitcodavidsboxingblog.com)
- Directions to Bridgewater (deafinprison.wordpress.com)
- Colorado governor a friend of paroled inmate’s dad (cbsnews.com)