This came from HEARD’s FaceBook page. If you haven’t yet done so, and you’re on FaceBook, you can shoot on over there, and give ’em a “Like.” HEARD – Helping Educate to Advance the Rights of the Deaf – is an organization that works tirelessly to aid both the Deaf community and the wrongfully convicted. They have been a wonderful resource for DeafInPrison.com
The Justice Department announced yesterday that it has reached settlement agreements with the City of Englewood and the Arapahoe County Sheriff’s Office in Colorado under the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA). The agreements resolve allegations that these law enforcement agencies failed to provide effective communication to individuals who are deaf, including crime victims, witnesses, members of the public, arrestees, and detainees. These law enforcement agencies came forward voluntarily to enter into these agreements while the Department’s investigation was ongoing, so no finding of violation was made against either entity. The agreements also resolve a private lawsuit brought by individuals who are deaf, the Colorado Association of the Deaf, and the Colorado Cross-Disability Coalition. The agreements are very comprehensive and may serve as models throughout the nation’s law enforcement and detention communities.
People interested in finding out more about the ADA and the Department’s settlement agreements with the City of Englewood and Arapahoe County Sheriff’s Office can access the ADA website at ADA.gov, or call the toll-free ADA Information Line at (800) 514-0301 (voice) or (800) 514-0383 (TTY).
Again, you can go here to find out more online.
BitcoDavid is a blogger and a blog site consultant. In former lives, he was an audio engineer, a videographer, a teacher – even a cab driver. He is an avid health and fitness enthusiast and a Pro/Am boxer. He has spent years working with diet and exercise to combat obesity and obesity related illness.
- Deaf Suspect Gets Settlement (deafinprison.wordpress.com)
- Reminder: Symposium on Criminal Justice and the Deaf (deafinprison.wordpress.com)
- Event: Webinar (deafinprison.wordpress.com)
- From H.E.A.R.D., a Tool for Tracking FCC Proceedings (deafinprison.wordpress.com)
- ADA ignored by Denver Law Enforcement (deafinprison.wordpress.com)
- From USABoxing – Casting Call (bitcodavidsboxingblog.com)
- Settlement Reached To Help Deaf Arrestees, Victims (denver.cbslocal.com)
- Englewood settles with deaf suspect who didn’t get interpreter (denverpost.com)
- FCC to Hear Case on Deaf Telephone Rate Inequity (deafinprison.wordpress.com)
- Cap Wrap: Adultery now legal; immigration bill draws bipartisan support (kdvr.com)