From our Author’s page:
McCay Vernon is the inspiration behind DeafInPrison.com. Upon learning of Felix Garcia’s plight in Florida, Vernon contacted Joanne Greenberg about writing a book regarding the struggles of Deaf inmates. Ms. Greenberg liked the idea, but thought a Blog site may be a more effective method of reaching an audience.
McCay Vernon has worked for over fifty-five years to improve the lives of both deaf and deaf-blind individuals through his research on major medical and psychological aspects of these conditions. This research has been coupled with strong advocacy for the use of sign language, mental health services, full legal rights, improved education and better vocational services and opportunities. To this end, he has written over 200 journal articles and book chapters, 11 books and scripts for twenty documentary films on deafness and deaf-blindness. Included among them, a major contribution to “They Grow in Silence,” winner of the 1970 Public Broadcasting Award for Public Service Programs.
Dr. Vernon was known by all who worked with him as a kind and gentle man. He devoted his life to helping the Deaf, the deaf-blind and the mentally ill, particularly those behind bars. He wrote countless books and articles on a wide range of social and psychological subjects. He was a good friend to our Publisher, Joanne Greenberg, and our contributor Pat Bliss. I myself knew him when I was a child, but my memory of him fails me. In our numerous conversations during the launch phase of this Web site however, I was struck by the fact that his memory of me was much clearer.
As a child, I managed to impress a great man. I can only hope that as an adult, I’ll be able to live up to what expectations he may have had. Dr. Vernon, you will indeed, be sadly missed.
A commemorative page has been set up at https://www.facebook.com/pages/In-Honor-of-Mac-Vernon/497356137020470
BitcoDavid is a blogger and a blog site consultant. In former lives, he was an audio engineer, a videographer, a teacher – even a cab driver. He is an avid health and fitness enthusiast and a Pro/Am boxer. He has spent years working with diet and exercise to combat obesity and obesity related illness.
- DeafInPrison.com Launches ASL Learners FaceBook Group (deafinprison.wordpress.com)
- DeafInPrison.com Celebrates 50,000 Views!!! (deafinprison.wordpress.com)
- The Shoe on Another Foot, and a Hat-tip to Dave Chappelle (deafinprison.wordpress.com)
- This Video Will Rock Your World (deafinprison.wordpress.com)
- July 2013 at DeafInPrison.com (deafinprison.wordpress.com)
- I Review the “Little Books” ASL Discs (deafinprison.wordpress.com)
- A Quick Addendum to the “Little Books” Post (deafinprison.wordpress.com)
- According to the ASL Meetup group… (deafinprison.wordpress.com)
- Pam Bondi has her “Cat in the Rain” Moment (deafinprison.wordpress.com)
- #JusticeForFelix and now #JusticeForRicardo (deafinprison.wordpress.com)