One of my guilty pleasures is reading Rumpydog. Rumpy is a Malamute who lives with several other dogs and cats, all of whom were rescues. Even more so than Jack – but don’t let him know I said it – Rumpy is a fabulous writer and photographer, as well as a very photogenic model. Although Rumpy rarely writes stories that fit in with DeafInPrison.com’s subject matter, today served as an exception. Here’s the story of Justice.
Justice is a Black Lab – Great Dane mix, who was rescued via Big Dog Ranch Rescue, in Wellington, Florida, and trained by Miami Dog Whisperer Richard Heinz. Justice now works for the state of Florida as a therapy dog, at the Miami-Dade Regional Juvenile Detention Center.
As readers of this site are aware, Florida isn’t exactly known as being an enlightened place when it comes to inmates. On the contrary, it has been home to some of the most dreadful prison facilities known to man. And especially so, when dealing with juvenile offenders. Florida’s record for incarcerating children in adult facilities is shameful, and who can forget the horror that was Dozier School for Boys?
But Justice works his paws to the bone, setting all that right. Apparently, Florida has had such overwhelming success with Justice, that they’ve decided to implement the program, statewide. In fact, the Center’s supervisor has stated that just since Justice began working with the kids, incidents have been cut in half. Scientists agree, that petting and bonding with a dog can have numerous beneficial effects, including behavior modification. The kids at Miami-Dade – and Justice – are proving that daily.
You’ll rarely hear me say this, but I would like to congratulate Florida on her brilliant and progressive insight, in implementing this program and helping both rescue animals and troubled kids. Keep up the good work, Florida!
However, freeing Felix Garcia would raise you in my esteem even further.
And thank you RumpyDog, for alerting me to this story.
BitcoDavid is a blogger and a blog site consultant. In former lives, he was an audio engineer, a videographer, a teacher – even a cab driver. He is an avid health and fitness enthusiast and a Pro/Am boxer. He has spent years working with diet and exercise to combat obesity and obesity related illness.
- Search for bodies at Dozier School for Boys begins (miamiherald.com)
- Bodies to be exhumed from Dozier School for Boys, (theobamacrat.com)
- USF Wins Federal Grant for Dozier Research (wtvy.com)
- Pet therapy dog helps incarcerated youth in Miami (sacbee.com)
- Florida to exhume remains found at notorious Dozier School for Boys (theguardian.com)
- 4-legged Justice helps kids in detention center (local10.com)
- Dr. McCay Vernon Passes Away (deafinprison.wordpress.com)
- We Got ’em on the Run (deafinprison.wordpress.com)
- This Video Will Rock Your World (deafinprison.wordpress.com)
- Pam Bondi has her “Cat in the Rain” Moment (deafinprison.wordpress.com)
8 thoughts on “And in the “Who is Rescuing Whom” Department…”